What is a watershed? A watershed can be defined as a geographic area of land in which precipitation drains to a common point on a stream, river, pond, lake or other body of water. All urban, rural and industrial land uses can potentially affect or be affected by surface and groundwater water quality and quantity in a watershed.

In an effort to compare, study and better understand ecological processes which occur in one of the thousands of watersheds across the country; H-Flumes are commonly used to measure waterflow. VPC Fiberglass is proud to have supplied fiberglass H-Flumes for a number of different projects across North America, working with the United States Geological Service, United States Forest Service, United States Department of Agriculture, many State Departments of Agriculture and several colleges and universities.

It is important to gather water run-off data from water samples and monitor water flow. Wing walls are used with the H-Flume to direct the water flow through the flume. H-Flume design enables accurate low flow measurement while allowing the ability to measure large flows associated with storm events and snow melt. H Flumes were developed many years ago, and have proven very effective to measure runoff from agricultural watersheds and experimental plots. These Flumes require a gravity discharge from the end of the flume. This is an advantage when measuring water runoff in natural channels where slope is present because the discharge water will not back up into the flume. The sidewalls of the H-Flume converge gradually to reduce the possibility of debris collecting in the flume. It also increases the velocity of the water flow keeping the flume free of sediment.

Additional Photos
2.5 H Flume used to measure water run off in Manitoba, Canada Hinged wing walls direct the flow thru the H Flume. Down slope view of 2.5 H Flume on 20 acre watershed in Minnesota. 3.0 H Flume being installed in 92 acre watershed. 3/4 inch treated plywood serves as wing wall for this 3.0 H Flume.

Request a Quote